Thursday, December 31, 2009
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ¾ cup butter, softened
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
• ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
• ¼ cup butter, softened
• 1 Tbsp brandy or ½ tsp brandy extract
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 36 maraschino cherries with stems, drained on paper towels
• ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, combine granulated sugar, ¾ cup butter, vanilla, and egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy.
2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour and cocoa; beat until well mixed. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls; place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With index finger, make indentation in center of each cookie.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients; beat until smooth.
5. Spoon about ½ teaspoon filling into each cooled cookie. Press cherry into filling.
6. In small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and oil. Cook over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Spoon or drizzle melted chocolate over cherry on each cookie. Let stand until chocolate is set.