Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies


These cookies are always a favorite when I make them. They are a big hit when I make them for my Christmas gift baskets each year. They look like they take a lot of time, and I won't lie, they take a good bit of time, but they are not that hard to make. All you need is patience! The end product is all worth it!

INGREDIENTS

Cookies:
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ¾ cup butter, softened
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
• ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa


Filling:
• ¼ cup butter, softened
• 1 Tbsp brandy or ½ tsp brandy extract
• 1 cup powdered sugar


Topping:
• 36 maraschino cherries with stems, drained on paper towels
• ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 tsp oil


DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, combine granulated sugar, ¾ cup butter, vanilla, and egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy.
2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour and cocoa; beat until well mixed. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls; place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With index finger, make indentation in center of each cookie.
3. Bake at 375°F for 7 to 9 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets; place on wire racks. Cool 10 minutes or until completely cooled.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients; beat until smooth.
5. Spoon about ½ teaspoon filling into each cooled cookie. Press cherry into filling.
6. In small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and oil. Cook over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Spoon or drizzle melted chocolate over cherry on each cookie. Let stand until chocolate is set.



About 3 dozen cookies.

(Ashley’s note: If you like your cookies to be perfectly uniform, use a cookie scoop, but I usually only get about 24 if using cookie scoop.)

If you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out and post pictures!

6 comments:

  1. I get these placed in a Christmas basket every year. They are absolutely decadent. The white filling has a brandy taste but not overpowering... just enough to go "hmmm" where's all that flavor coming from. It's truly like a chocolately covered cherry that just explodes with flavor in your mouth. Yummy!!! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look too pretty to eat! I can't wait to get home and try this recipe out!! It's two of my favorite things, cherries and chocolate!!! YUM!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I tryed this recipie and they were so yummy!!! If I could figure out how to post pics I would!!! I learned a life lesson in baking to follow the directions EXACTLY lol I didn't so it made it a little harder but they still turned out good!! I am going to try them again tho!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete