Monday, March 22, 2010

North Carolina-Style Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches

1st food pic with the new camera. Whatcha think?

So, there's this place called The Shed...not to far from where we live. Everyone around here knows what that is. If you don't, you've been living under a rock for quite some time. They have the BEST BBQ. Of course, that is just an opinion. But, ask just about anyone, and they'll tell you the Shed is AWESOME! When I first started going there, I would only get the baby back ribs (which are still my fave). After about the 3rd or 4th time, I decided to try something new. So, I tried the pulled pork, and I was NOT disappointed. It is the most delicious pulled pork I have EVER had. EVER. Since then, I have been a big pulled pork fan. Which leads me to this recipe. When I saw it I knew I wanted to try it. Only thing is, it is a North Carolina-style pulled pork, which means it has a vinegear-based sauce. Down here, we don't eat that on our BBQ. So, I was a little hesitant about that, but the flavor wasn't bad. It does have a good bit of heat, which I like. I don't know if I would try this again, only because of the amount of vinegar in the sauce, but it was a really juicy and flavorful pork. Other than the vinegar, I give it 2 thumbs up. So, here ya go!


INGREDIENTS


PORK:
  • 1 tablespoon salt - I used kosher.
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • Pinch celery seeds
  • 1 7-lb boneless pork shoulder, skin and fat left intact
  • 10-12 soft buns
BASTING SAUCE:
  • 3 cups cider vinegar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
  • 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. For the pork, in a small bowl, stir together the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and celery seeds. Using your fingers, rub the spice mixture all over the pork to coat evenly. Place pork in a large resealable bag or a covered bowl; refrigerate overnight.
  2. For the basting sauce, in a large saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer for 3 minutes. Let sauce cool; cover and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 300°F. Place a rack inside a large roasting pan; place the pork on the rack. Roast for 2 1/2 hours; pour ½ of the sauce over the pork. Bake for 1 to 2 hours more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roast registers 180°F, basting pork every 30 minutes with sauce and drippings from the bottom of the pan.
  4. Remove pork from the oven and let stand on the rack until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, warm the remaining sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Transfer the warm pork to a cutting board and shred or chop the meat into bite-size pieces, mixing in some of the fat and skin. Transfer pork to a large bowl; add sauce to taste and mix well.
  5. Serve the pork on buns, serving any of the remaining sauce on the side.

SourceY'all Come Eat  by Jamie and Bobby Deen

1 comment:

  1. Darn, I know I commented on this and it didn't show up which is weird. But oh well. I will definitely be trying this recipe because the picture alone makes it looks so appetizing. Thanks for sharing! Love ya, Momma

    ReplyDelete