Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes



I have had cupcake fever lately. I'm trying to find some recipes for cute and different cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday party. I can't wait. I have tried these 3 times, 2 different recipes. The first ones I tried, we liked the cake part of it, but not so much the frosting. The second ones, we LOVED the frosting, not so much the cake. So, I fused the 2 and got this one. They are SO YUMMY!!! They are sweet, but not too sweet. I can't wait to make these for his birthday! Although there are 3 months left before his birthday, I decided to make this for my Valentine's "gift baskets," that's why there are cute little conversation ♥'s on them.

Recipe Source: Cake Batter part is from 100 Best Cupcake Recipes , and lemon buttercream is from I ♥ Cuppycakes!

INGREDIENTS
for cupcakes:
1 pkg (18 oz.) white cake mix without pudding in the mix
1 cup water
3 egg whites
1/3 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Red food color (liquid is okay)


for lemon buttercream:
3 cups + 3 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Red food color

DIRECTIONS
To make cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Beat cake mix, water, eggs whites, lemonade concentrate, oil, and food color in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.


To make buttercream:
1. Add the butter, powdered sugar, salt, and lemon juice to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mixing until combined.
2. Add red food coloring and mix until frosting is uniformly pink.
3. Frost cupcakes, and garnish with pink sprinkles, if desired.
Yields 24 cupcakes.


Ashley’s tip: The frosting was too thick for my liking, so I added about another tablespoon of pink lemonade concentrate.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yum! I've made a super cute pink lemonade cupcke that's always a hit and recently a lemonade cupcake! I wish that I could live off of cupcakes LOL Thanks for sharing ~ please stop by and say hi sometime!

    ReplyDelete