Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sweet & Sour Sloppy Joes


Sloppy Joes. Messy, yummy, and....sloppy! Sloppy Joes are always an easy go to meal, but most just open a can of the premade stuff. Yeah, it's good...but after so many cans of that, do you ever tell yourself, "I need to shake it up. Put a twist on these sloppy joes." ? I have had this recipe for a long time (although I don't remember which magazine I got it out of), and cannot tell you how many times I've made it. I also can't recall the last time I bought a can of that stuff. This isn't your typical Sloppy Joe. Regular ones are very tangy and have a strong BBQ taste. Not these! They are tangy, but slightly sweet. SO GOOD. I have tweaked it a little bit. The original recipe uses regular granulated sugar. I, personally, like the taste of brown sugar. Also, I'm sure you could use any color bell pepper.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 3 scallions, trimmed & chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • 1 pound ground chicken - I used ground turkey.
  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • ½ cup regular barbeque sauce
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar - I use light brown sugar.
  • 4 hamburger buns or soft rolls
DIRECTIONS:


1. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, scallions, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add ground chicken. Continue to cook, breaking apart with wooden spoon, until no longer pink.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, barbeque sauce, and sugar. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and spoon into hamburger buns or rolls.
Serves 4.



2 comments:

  1. First lemme just say, I LOVE your name {Ashley} above! :)
    Second, I'm going to try these this weekend! I'll tell ya how "the boys" enjoyed them. I know I will ... :)
    Love ya, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you had made them before...

    ReplyDelete