I'll start off with some really AWESOME news! I will be guest blogging for the FIRST time on Miss Crafty Pants!!! I am so excited!!! I will be guest blogging there this upcoming Tuesday.
Now, to the recipe! I am a follower of Mommy's Kitchen, and I came across this recipe one day while browsing her blog. I knew I HAD to make it. My 2 favorite cakes are Red Velvet and German Chocolate. Also because I had coconut that I was wanting to use. This cheesecake is really decadent and YUMMY! Do NOT even take ONE bite of this if you are watching what you eat or on on a diet...like I SHOULD be. I mean look at it. Does it look like it is healthy? I don't even think it should look healthy...lol! Only thing I was disappointed about was having to wait SO long to eat it...haha! It takes a little over an hour to bake + chill time. So, this isn't a quick dessert.
1 package (18¼ oz) German Chocolate cake mix
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1½ cups sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup butter, cubed
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2½ cups flaked coconut
1½ cups chopped pecans
1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
3. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan.
4. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Cool on a wire rack (in pan) for 1 hour.
6. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
7. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.