Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lemon-Up Cupcakes

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been SUPER busy preparing for our lil man's 1st birthday. I am so SUPER EXCITED. I can't wait to share pictures! Ok, for the recipe. I have so many cookbooks...a ton, plus some that I get from my mom every now and then. So, whenever I feel the need to bake, I sometimes look through my baking books. I have had this one marked in a cupcake book for a while now, and decided to try it just because it sounded yummy. My dad & I like a lot of the same tastes...cheesecake, jalapenos, lemon, etc. So, if they sounded good to me, I knew at least one person would try. =) The cake part was really good, but the frosting was a tad too sweet for me. My dad loved them, and said he wants them for his birthday. I may try a cake instead though for him. Anyways, enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
• 1 pkg (about 18 oz.) butter recipe white cake mix with pudding in the mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
• Grated peel of 2 lemons, divided
• ½ cup lemon juice, divided
• ½ cup butter, softened - I used unsalted.
• 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
• Yellow food coloring
• 1 pkg (9½ oz) lemon-shaped hard candies (like Lemon Heads), coarsely crushed - I used yellow sugar sprinkles.

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions but use ¼ cup less water than directions call for. Stir in half of the grated lemon peel and ¼ cup lemon juice. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake 23 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
4. Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add remaining lemon peel, ¼ cup lemon juice, and several drops of food coloring; beat at high speed until frosting is light and fluffy.
5. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with crushed candies.

Makes 24 cupcakes.

Source: 100 Best Cupcake Recipes

1 comment:

  1. I like the cupcake and you're right the icing was a tad sweet BUT overall the cupcake/icing was good. Your dad did enjoy them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete