• ½ cup lemon juice, divided
• ½ cup butter, softened - I used unsalted.
• 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
• Yellow food coloring
• 1 pkg (9½ oz) lemon-shaped hard candies (like Lemon Heads), coarsely crushed - I used yellow sugar sprinkles.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions but use ¼ cup less water than directions call for. Stir in half of the grated lemon peel and ¼ cup lemon juice. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake 23 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
4. Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add remaining lemon peel, ¼ cup lemon juice, and several drops of food coloring; beat at high speed until frosting is light and fluffy.
5. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with crushed candies.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Source: 100 Best Cupcake Recipes