Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oatmeal Bars

So, I haven't realized until a couple days ago how ridiculously long it's been since I've last posted. Sorry for such a long delay. I have been super busy, and have recently been dealing with not only my little man being sick, but me as well. Lil man's 1st birthday party went VERY well. Hopefully I can get some pics posted on the next post. For now, I will post just one. This is lil man all Spongbob'd up. He was such a cutie! 



Our 4th of July was great (despite both me and my son being sick). He finally got to see fireworks. Last 4th he was only a month and a half old. So, that was nice. Then I realized, as much of a little shutterbug that I am, I took not one picture Sunday. It's most likely due to my being under the weather, but I was a little disappointed in myself. =( Anyways, let me get to the recipe.


I'm the type of person that rips recipes out of magazines when I see one I like and add it to my stack of recipes to try. Lately my stack has been getting out of hand. So, I looked through the stack to see if I had one recipe that I could make without having to go to the store to get anything. The recipe for these bars just happened to be the only one that I could make. So, I did. They turned out really yummy. Hubby loved em. It kinda tastes like a breakfast bar or a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie but in a bar (which is basically what it is I suppose). They stay really well for a couple of days. I kept mine in a little plastic tub. Hope you enjoy!


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup milk - I used whole milk. 
  • 2 cups quick oats
  • 1¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°. Coat a 8x8x2" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. 
2. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter on medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and beat in milk, then flour mixture. Stir in oats and 1 cup of the chocolate chips. 
3. Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Microwave remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips for 30 seconds; stir until smooth and drizzle over bars. Cut into squares. 
Makes 16 squares. 

It's as easy as that, and they are totally yummy. Just make sure you have an ice cold glass of milk to go with them. =)

1 comment:

  1. There were really good. A big on the sweet side but who doesn't like sweet for breakfast! Great job on the taste, presentation, and chocolate! LOL! Love ya, Mom/Granny

    ReplyDelete