-2½ cups bread crumbs, plain or made from stale sweet rolls (I toasted some bread & ground it up in the food processor. I used 4 slices of regular white bread.)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk (I used whole.)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark rum, optional (I used Captain Morgan.)
- 4 firm-ripe bananas, sliced into ½-inch rounds
1. Make crumb mixture: Mix together bread crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
2. Make filling: Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350°F. In a heavy pan, bring milk to a simmer. With an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt until thick and pale yellow. Gradually pour half of milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Then whisk this mixture gradually into milk in pan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, 1 minute (do not overcook). Remove from heat and stir for 1 minute. Add vanilla and rum, if desired. Fold bananas into hot custard.
3. Gently press half of crumb mixture into bottom of a 9-inch baking dish. Top with banana mixture, then remaining crumbs. Bake until top has browned and starts to bubble, 25 to 30 minutes.