Thursday, January 13, 2011

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Don't you just love a good ole' fashioned recipe. You know...the kind that has been passed down generations. Well, this one was passed down from my grandmother. I just came across it last year, but since then, we've made it numerous times. This dish has made my husband love broccoli again. It's not one of those super-complex-takes-all-day-to-cook kinda dishes. It's one of those so-simple-but-tastes-so-good kinda dishes. I love it. Then, my husband decided to make it even better. One night, I was making it, and he said "Hey, why don't you grill up some chicken, and throw that in there?" And I said, "Why didn't I think of that?" So, I did, and that's how we make it now. YUM YUM!!! Enjoy!!


INGREDIENTS
½ cup chopped onion - I use yellow onion.
4 Tbsp margarine
1 cup uncooked rice - I always use the Boil-in-a-bag rice...never used the regular long grain.
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 (10 ½ oz) can cream of chicken soup
2 pkgs. (10 oz) frozen chopped broccoli, barely cooked & drained
2-3 good sized chicken breasts (about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs), if desired


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Start cooking chicken however you like, if desired. (I just cook them in a skillet.) Meanwhile, saute onions in margarine. Cook rice according to package directions. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Put in a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at for 25 minutes or until bubbly. 


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. MMMmmmm sounds like the perfect quick and tasty meal. Would be great on these cold, COLD winter nights too lately! Thanks for sharing!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete