Friday, January 14, 2011

Brown Rice with Black Beans


My favorite restaurant is Chili's. They have a Margarita Grilled Chicken there. Ever have it? It is just about the only thing I ever get when I go. My favorite part is the black beans and rice under the chicken. YUM YUM! Of course, you know by now that Annie's Eats is one of my favorite blogs. I check it every day. When she posted this recipe, it reminded me so much of that rice and black bean yumminess at Chili's that I HAD to try it. So, the other night...when we made chicken enchiladas, this was our side dish, and we were NOT disappointed. I love the brightness that the cilantro brings to the dish, and the subtle crunch of the corn, and the meatiness of the black beans. It makes SO much, so next time, I will cut it in half because there is only 3 of us. Definitely could feed a bunch. And honestly, this could be a light lunch on its own, or you could throw in some shredded chicken, and call it a dinner. Hope you like it as much as I did! Enjoy!



INGREDIENTS
4 tsp. olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2¼ cups water
1½ cups long-grain brown rice
1 tsp. salt
1-2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed - I used 1.
¾ cup corn kernels (fresh from cob, or frozen and thawed) - I used drained canned corn.
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp. ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375° F.  Adjust an oven rack to the middle position.  Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or big oven-safe pot over medium heat until shimmering.  Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and tender, about 12-14 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the chicken broth and water to the pan.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the rice and salt, and cover.  Bake until the rice is tender, 65-70 minutes. (Only took 65 for mine.)

Remove the pot from the oven and uncover.  Fluff the rice with a fork, stir in the beans and corn, and replace the lid.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Mix in the cilantro and black pepper.  Serve.


Source: Annie's Eats

Linked up to:

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I'm gonna have to try this one for sure! Thanks for sharing!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl! i am ALWAYS wondering what the heck to cook for dinner- i am so glad to find your blog. =) and your blog title is awesome- so creative!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    Emily

    TheToastedCoconut.blogspot.com

    p.s. your order is going out on monday!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, it was delish, and plus there were tons of leftovers! You can have some if you want. =)

    Emily, thank you!! I am so excited to get it!

    ReplyDelete