Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

I made this for dinner last night. It was super easy to put together, and super yummy. This is a Rachel Ray recipe, another one of my fave chefs on Food Network. She always has such yummy and easy stuff! I only got a picture of a slice of the lasagna because you basically just put everything into a skillet, then layer it in a dish. A slice is much prettier than the whole thing. Anyways, here are the directions. I hope you try, and ENJOY!

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - I used veg oil.
  • 2 lbs. ground chicken breast - I used ground turkey.
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14-oz) can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes - I used fire roasted tomatoes...yum!
  • 1 cup corn kernels - I used canned & drained.
  • Salt
  • 8 (8-inch) spinach flour tortillas - As you can see by the pic, I used regular tortillas.
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, & red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes. Add black beans & corn. Heat the mixture through, 2-3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
  3. Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12-15 minutes until cheese is brown & bubbly. Top with the scallions and serve.

    I say YUM-O!!! =)

4 comments:

  1. Just so everyone knows.... ALL the pictures so far are YOURS. I am so very impressed with all your dishes. You always have been a good cooker/baker. Your culinary abilities make me so proud. I like to cook but you take it to the next level by adding the little extras that make the dish extraordinary. By the way this dish was another YUMMY! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, they are mine. I try hard. Lol! Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Nick does not like lasagna but this looks so great!! I'm adding this to my list of dinner ideas to try out when we move in together!! Sounds amazing and looks great!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doesn't taste ANYTHING like regular lasagna. I think it's called lasagna just because of the preparation. It tastes like a burrito kinda.

    ReplyDelete